Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore says the court system needs more money or it will be forced to make more layoffs. Moore says he's grateful that the General Fund signed by the governor on Monday increases the court system's appropriation by $5.6 million to $108 million, but he says that is $8.5 million short of what's needed to maintain the current staff. Moore expects to lay off ...
The downtown skyline is shown at sunset from the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport in Birmingham, Ala., Wednesday, ...
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- The board of the Alabama Public Historical Sites and Parks Improvement Corporation has authorized $1.2 million in bond money for a landmark voting rights center in the capitol ...
food in one place to make for the perfect weekend event. And this year will be no different. What will be different is that the organizers of this event, just as they've always done, have found ways to improve the brewfest with a few new additions. Thanks to our ever changing craft beer landscape in Alabama, the beer list at this event will be loaded with breweries and beers that are ...
TUSCALOOSA - AL - While thinking about Oklahoma, some of Tuscaloosa's first responders took a walk across what was Fire Station #4. It was toppled by a tornado with them inside - two years ago. "All four of us huddled down under a single mattress," Firefighter Jeff Roberts uttered to other fire fighters. He says the all personally feel the City of Moore's pain. ...
The Princess and the Frog [Blu-Ray]
The Princess and the Frog, the first theatrically released hand-drawn animated feature from Walt Disney Studios since 2004s Home on the Range, is a generally delightful, though not exactly glorious, return to form. The primary ingredients of its cinematic ... ...
Justin Stehan salvages photographs from his tornado-ravaged home Tuesday, May 21, 2013, in Moore, Okla. A huge tornado roared through the Oklahoma City suburb Monday, flattening entire neighborhoods and destroying an elementary school with a direct blow as children and teachers huddled against winds. (AP Photo/Charlie ...
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - When the Legislature adjourned Monday just before midnight, more than 70 nominations to state boards died without a vote. The affected bodies range from university governing boards to the state environmental management board and the Real Estate Commission. Of the pending nominations, 56 were from Gov. Robert Bentley, while another 14 came from legislative leaders or ...
BIRMINGHAM HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION: Crime Stoppers needs your help identifying a person of interest in a homicide investigation. The man, whose picture is posted to the right of this story, was seen with 22-year-old Jonathon Cole before he died. Cole was shot and killed Friday, April 5th at the Garden Inn and Suites on Crestwood Boulevard. "He's a person of interest at this ...
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- A mysterious respiratory illness has left five people hospitalized and two dead in southeast Alabama, state health officials said ...
A teacher hugs a child at Briarwood Elementary school after a tornado destroyed the school in south Oklahoma City, Monday, May 20, 2013. A monstrous tornado roared through the Oklahoma City suburbs, flattening entire neighborhoods with winds up to 200 mph, setting buildings on fire and landing a direct blow on an elementary ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
The hotel is easy to locate although coming off Highway 405 South there is no indicattion that the Downtown exits ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Birmingham StarBirmingham Star – Latest News Headlines for Birmingham
The Birmingham Star is essentially a local Birmingham newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Birmingham, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Birmingham, Alabama, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Birmingham Star.
Yahoo Inc. has approved a deal to buy New York-based blogging service Tumblr for 1.1 billion dollars. The acquisition is expected to be announced as early as Monday.
The deal was unanimously voted for by the board, tech blog AllThingsD reported, citing sources close to the matter.
According to the BBC, the deal will be CEO Marissa Mayer's largest deal since taking Yahoo's command in July 2012.
Neither Yahoo nor Tumblr responded immediately to requests for comment.
Under the terms of the acquisition, Tumblr would continue to operate as an independent business, which is currently run by David Karp, a 26-year-old New Yorker, who is expected to remain in his role. (ANI)
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Top dogs Highest zoo CEO pay
- NY Digital Health Accelerator Is a Model to Emulate Startups Perspective
- French Tax Soars Over 100
- Business Expansion Then Dump the Debt
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Oklahoma short on storm shelters
- Immigration bill clears key Senate panel
- Freeport Indonesia Death toll rises to 28 after tunnel accident
- Bed sharing with parents raises risk of a baby dying from SIDS fivefold
- Jay-Z dispels baby rumours
- Smoking during pregnancy up obesity and diabetes risk in baby girls
- Bill Murray Knows What To Do With A Crying Baby
- Hero nurse helps save newborn baby and mother in Moore
- Mystery illness strikes south Alabama
- Community forum focuses on Cooper Green concerns
- Ala. Baptist State Convention works to help with OK tornado recovery
- Roy Moore says courts must have more money
- Tuscaloosa Academys versatile Torrence Brown collecting offers SEC interest
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Deadly US Twister Hits Tornado Alley
- Rescuers Searching for Survivors Following Deadly US Tornado
- Kerry Mideast Talks on Syria to Include Russian Call for Involving Iran
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- State to finally replace ancient jobless-claims computer
- Needed 350000 mid-level skilled workers in NY by 2018
- County jobless rates shrink
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Promotes Chicoine to VP of Human Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Birmingham Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Roy Moore says courts must have more money
- Birmingham 2040 Regional planning commission wants public input to help Think Forward
- Alabama State to host Voting Rights Center
- Seventh annual Magic City Brewfest returns to Birmingham at end of month
- Tuscaloosa reaches out to Moore OK