An infant has a fivefold increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) when they share their bed with their parents, according to an analysis. The authors of this analysis estimate that around 88 percent of all SIDS deaths while bed sharing would not have occurred if it had been avoided. The results show that even when neither parent smoked, and the baby was less than 3 months old, ...
Beyonce's husband Jay-Z has dismissed rumours that the former Destiny's Child member is pregnant. Program Director Ebro Darden of New York's Hot 97, also known as Old Man Ebro, said that he emailed Jay-Z to offer best wishes on Beyonce's getting pregnant a second time, but the rapper responded back by saying that "It's not true. The news is worse than blogs," ABC News reported Rumours about ...
Women who smoke during pregnancy increase the risk of both obesity and gestational diabetes, in their daughters, a recent study has found. The study is by Dr Kristina Mattsson, Lund University, Sweden, and colleagues including Dr Matthew Longnecker from the National Institute on Environmental Health Sciences at the U.S.National Institutes of Health, North Carolina, USA. While the relation of ...
The Saturdays singer Rochelle Humes has become a first-time mother after giving birth to a baby daughter. The 24-year-old welcomed a baby daughter, her first child with fellow British pop star Marvin Humes of boyband JLS, reports contactmusiccom. Proud dad Marvin took to Twitter to share the happy news. "This morning we welcomed our baby girl Alaia-Mai Humes. Mum is doing great and baby is ...
decision not to take the Danish company to the London Arbitration of The International Chamber of Commerce. "It's shameful that you gave up so easily, when not even 100 days have passed since you've been in government," a livid Fenech told Mizzi. But as the energy minister attempted to explain that if Malta had taken BWSC to court it would have ended up in favour of the ...
83.8°F Scattered Clouds
Sweet Home Alabama
Director Andy Tennant's last film was 1999's Anna and the King, the florid tale of a refined 19th-century British woman who finds herself in the ancient Oriental kingdom of Siam, which is moving slowly into modernity. His latest, the romantic comedy Sweet Home Alabama, has essentially the same narrative crux, but in this case it's a refined 21st-century New Yorker who finds herself ... ...
Co-sleeping with a newborn increases the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) fivefold, a new study in BMJ Open suggests. The likelihood applies even if parents are not smokers, drinkers, or drug users - other factors that raise the risk of SIDS, according to the study led by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. A previous study conducted by a research team at the ...
May 21, 2013 1:22 pm "The Footy Show," a sports entertainment channel based in Australia, is clearing the air about statements made during the program, which called a baby ...
The state’s highest court today upheld the convictions of two reputed South End gang members found responsible for the February 2003 shooting of a pregnant MBTA commuter, whose unborn son was struck and ultimately killed by an errant shot fired aboard a crowded Orange Line train.Chimezie Akara and Andre Green, both serving life imprisonment plus 66 to 80 years without the possibility of ...
A former Farmington day care provider has been charged with manslaughter in the death of a 3-month-old boy in her home last July. Rebecca Lynn Graupmann, 46, was charged by warrant Monday, May 20, in Dakota County District Court. The charges include two counts of second-degree manslaughter, child endangerment, child neglect and interference with a death scene. The boy, Kaiden Robert Staebell, ...
After being released into the wild in Germany just last month, a herd of wisents has welcomed its first calf. The first European bison to be born free in Germany ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
The hotel is easy to locate although coming off Highway 405 South there is no indicattion that the Downtown exits ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Birmingham StarBirmingham Star – Latest News Headlines for Birmingham
The Birmingham Star is essentially a local Birmingham newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Birmingham, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Birmingham, Alabama, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Birmingham Star.
Yahoo Inc. has approved a deal to buy New York-based blogging service Tumblr for 1.1 billion dollars. The acquisition is expected to be announced as early as Monday.
The deal was unanimously voted for by the board, tech blog AllThingsD reported, citing sources close to the matter.
According to the BBC, the deal will be CEO Marissa Mayer's largest deal since taking Yahoo's command in July 2012.
Neither Yahoo nor Tumblr responded immediately to requests for comment.
Under the terms of the acquisition, Tumblr would continue to operate as an independent business, which is currently run by David Karp, a 26-year-old New Yorker, who is expected to remain in his role. (ANI)
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- You don’t need an Xbox to appreciate Microsoft
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Big Meteor Explosion on Moon Shows Lunar Exploration Risks
- Rare Sight See Bright Saturn Near Moon on Wednesday
- Book Review “Space Chronicles Facing the Ultimate Frontier” by Neil de Grasse Tyson
- Bed sharing with parents raises risk of a baby dying from SIDS fivefold
- Jay-Z dispels baby rumours
- Smoking during pregnancy up obesity and diabetes risk in baby girls
- Rochelle Humes delivers girl
- ‘Shame on you… you’re going round in circles baby’ – Pullicino tells Mizzi
- Alabama comes back to beat Auburn 6-3 in SEC Tournament
- Investigation continues in Pleasant Grove after woman found with bag over her head.
- Local woman uses Facebook to connect with family in Oklahoma
- UA in the News May 21 2013
- Ala. courts facing layoffs without extra money
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Deadly US Twister Hits Tornado Alley
- Rescuers Searching for Survivors Following Deadly US Tornado
- Kerry Mideast Talks on Syria to Include Russian Call for Involving Iran
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- Needed 350000 mid-level skilled workers in NY by 2018
- County jobless rates shrink
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Promotes Chicoine to VP of Human Resources
- Hatch Schumer Reach Deal on High-Skilled Workers in Immigration Bill
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Birmingham Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Indian guest workers sue company in Miss. Texas
- Alabama comes back to beat Auburn 6-3 in SEC Tournament
- Ala. man convicted on child sex charges
- OKC Thunder Match Kevin Durants $1 Million Pledge to Tornado Relief
- Walt Maddox elected president of Alabama League of Municipalities