Political analyst Dr Winford James said yesterday if the e-mails implicating the Prime Minister and two senior members of her Cabinet in criminal activities are true then "the Government would have no choice but to step down and call fresh ...
Chef and TV personality Andrew Zimmern and 13-year-old Isaac Xiong of Brooklyn Park discussed ways to cook squirrel on Tuesday, May 21, 2013. Zimmern, host of "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel channel, was visiting patients at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. Isaac, who has leukemia, hunts and eats squirrels with his father and has been a longtime fan of Zimmern's show. ...
WASHINGTON -- Two prominent old-line Senate Republicans threw down the gauntlet to their more conversative colleagues on Tuesday, challenging them to stop obstructing the passage of a budget. Led by tea party Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), Republicans have been preventing the Senate from sending the budget it passed earlier this year to a conference committee ...
But one pre-school has decided children's imaginations are getting too wild and has moved to ban superhero games.A school flyer has emerged online warning of the dangers of superhero antics.''The imaginations of our preschool children are becoming dangerously overactive causing injuries within our pre-k community,'' the flyer ...
Michael Douglas, right, plays Liberace and Matt Damon is Scott Thorson in "Behind the Candelabra," which tells the strange story of Thorson's life before and after his relationship with Liberace. (CLAUDETTE BARIUS | ...
Winds: From the SSW at 1.0 MPH Gusting to 5.0 MPH
The Princess and the Frog [Blu-Ray]
The Princess and the Frog, the first theatrically released hand-drawn animated feature from Walt Disney Studios since 2004s Home on the Range, is a generally delightful, though not exactly glorious, return to form. The primary ingredients of its cinematic ... ...
BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Argentinos Juniors, staring into the jaws of relegation, have had a set of false teeth thrown at their coach by an angry fan while the club's president has quit his seat at the Argentine ...
The Rob Ford spectacle is incredible and outrageous and his friends need to demand that he do the right thing
Canadians trust their politicians to do the right thing, even if they do the wrong thing. They trust them to have honour, and to respect the honour of their office.The time for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to address allegations that he was captured on videotape smoking crack in the presence of a drug dealer was last Friday, when the allegations emerged, or Tuesday at the latest. The moment passed him ...
Las Damas de Blanco .Ten long years ago they came together after the government crackdown on dissidents and independent journalists known as Black Spring, when 74 men and one woman were thrown in prison and handed long sentences. The men were their husbands, fathers, sons and brothers. The Ladies in White became their voices on the outside.To this day, despite beatings and detentions, in ...
Special Agents Christopher W. Lorek and Stephen P. Shaw, who died May 17 during maritime counterterrorism exercise, were remembered by Director Mueller and others at a memorial service in Quantico, ...
It shows a man cradling a young girl, who is looking over her shoulder at a woman behind them. The woman is holding hands with another young girl, who is crying. The man’s face is smeared with blood, and the woman appears to be seriously wounded, with one eye swollen shut.Some television networks showed the photograph and used it to accompany stories of families reunited, of parents ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
The hotel is easy to locate although coming off Highway 405 South there is no indicattion that the Downtown exits ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Birmingham StarBirmingham Star – Latest News Headlines for Birmingham
The Birmingham Star is essentially a local Birmingham newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Birmingham, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Birmingham, Alabama, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Birmingham Star.
Yahoo Inc. has approved a deal to buy New York-based blogging service Tumblr for 1.1 billion dollars. The acquisition is expected to be announced as early as Monday.
The deal was unanimously voted for by the board, tech blog AllThingsD reported, citing sources close to the matter.
According to the BBC, the deal will be CEO Marissa Mayer's largest deal since taking Yahoo's command in July 2012.
Neither Yahoo nor Tumblr responded immediately to requests for comment.
Under the terms of the acquisition, Tumblr would continue to operate as an independent business, which is currently run by David Karp, a 26-year-old New Yorker, who is expected to remain in his role. (ANI)
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Top dogs Highest zoo CEO pay
- NY Digital Health Accelerator Is a Model to Emulate Startups Perspective
- French Tax Soars Over 100
- Business Expansion Then Dump the Debt
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Oklahoma short on storm shelters
- Immigration bill clears key Senate panel
- Freeport Indonesia Death toll rises to 28 after tunnel accident
- Bed sharing with parents raises risk of a baby dying from SIDS fivefold
- Jay-Z dispels baby rumours
- Smoking during pregnancy up obesity and diabetes risk in baby girls
- Bill Murray Knows What To Do With A Crying Baby
- Hero nurse helps save newborn baby and mother in Moore
- Schools add storm shelters OK tornadoes serve as reminder to Alabamians
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new Dancing champ
- Mystery illness strikes south Alabama
- Community forum focuses on Cooper Green concerns
- Ala. Baptist State Convention works to help with OK tornado recovery
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Deadly US Twister Hits Tornado Alley
- Rescuers Searching for Survivors Following Deadly US Tornado
- Kerry Mideast Talks on Syria to Include Russian Call for Involving Iran
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- State to finally replace ancient jobless-claims computer
- Needed 350000 mid-level skilled workers in NY by 2018
- County jobless rates shrink
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Promotes Chicoine to VP of Human Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Birmingham Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Birminghams Sarah Simmons makes the grade moves on to top 8 on The Voice
- Man hospitalized with life-threatening injuries in Tuesday shooting in Ensley
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new Dancing champ
- Roy Moore says courts must have more money
- Birmingham 2040 Regional planning commission wants public input to help Think Forward